A little over a year ago we took our last getaway before everything shut down and the world changed. February 2020, we scored cheap flights for a long weekend in Austin, Texas and even though it was unseasonably cold (although not as unseasonably cold as Texas this February) we fell in love with Austin.
While we were stuck at home social distancing, we found a new love, travel shows, and one of our favorites is Samantha Brown: Places to Love. Since we had recently took a tour of Austin and the Texas Hill Country, one of the first episodes we watched was about the Texas Hill Country and we realized that the tour we took didn’t even scratch the surface of the Hill Country. When we were looking to use up our flight credit from our canceled spring break trip, we found a deal to fly back to Austin to fully explore the area.
After what may possibly have been too much research, I came up with with following itinerary:
- December 28: Fly into Austin
- December 29: New Braunfels, San Antonio Riverwalk, and Boat Cruise
- December 30: San Antonio Missions National Historic Park
- December 31: Cascade Caverns, Hill Country Wineries
- January 1: Fredericksburg and Wineries
- January 2: Lyndon Johnson National Historic Site and Wineries
- January 3: Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge and back to Austin
- January 4: Flight to Orlando
and then connecting back to Detroit
- January 5: Tampa and Disney Springs
- January 6: Flying back to Michigan for real
This ended being a great trip and we have been looking back on it a lot since it has been so cold here. You might notice in my above itinerary that our connecting flight home from Orlando got canceled and the earliest flight they were able to get us on was two days later. This cancellation resulted from flight delays due to the closure of Jacksonville air traffic control due to a COVID outbreak. Needless to say, it has made us nervous to take any other flights right now.
Be sure to check back here every week as I tell the stories of our road trip around the Hill Country! Thanks for stopping by! To read about some of our previous trips, click here. If you like my photos be sure to “like” my Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram! You can purchase prints on Etsy and Fine Art America. To see inside my camera bag, check out my updated Gear Page.
Leave a Reply